A holiday is an ideal opportunity to broaden ones horizon. Come and discover local cultural and architectural heritage. Situated at the heart of a nature reserve, the resort of Les Contamines has successfully allied tourism and tradition.
The village has preserved its historic aspect, baroque churches and old farm buildings, 70% of which have been restored in respect of the local Savoy architecture.
Church of the Holy Trinity
The church was built in 1759 on the ruins of the ancient Montjoie castle in dedication to the Holy Trinity.
At this period in time the interior remained unfinished. The interior decoration dates from 1847. The steeple was also added in 1845.
The Church was painted and immortalized in 1802 by the British artist, Turner.
Renovated in 1882 and more recently by Edouard Borga in 1976
Church of Notre-Dame de la Gorge
The church of Notre dame de la Gorge is an ancient place of pilgrimage, still extremely popular today.
Situated in magnificent surroundings at the end of the valley it marks the end of the road and the start of the mountain paths. Rebuilt in 1699 by Jean de la Vougniaz, this local parish church was ornately decorated with sculptures, altars and altarpieces to embellish a naïve representation of religious history.
Renovation works are in progress at Notre-Dame de la Gorge. The walls and roofs have been repaired but further refurbishment is necessary. If you wish to make a financial contribution please collect a form at the church or at the Town Hall. Your donation should be sent to the local association "Mémoire, Histoire et Patrimoine des Contamines-Montjoie" who will transfer the money to the Heritage Fondation. ( Please make cheques payable to Fondation du Patrimoine Notre-Dame de la Gorge).
14 small chapels dot the path leading to the church. They were built at the instigation of Father Gaillard in 1728, primarily to lend even more spendour to the Marian cuilt already established in this location.
Five "joyful mysteries", five "painful mysteries" and five "glorious mysteries" contitute the rosary and the life of the Virgin Mary.
The Holy Chapel
The Holy chapel is situated 200m past the church of Notre dame de La Gorge.
It is believed that the first hermit to live at the Gorge chose this spot. From the Middle Ages the Holy Chapel became a place of pilgrimage for local residents.
Still today, on August 15th and September 8th the procession of the Virgin Mary draws in a great congregation.